49 Classic Clips: Parenting Articles
People have sent me lots of links to articles about the importance of giving our kids a strong start — as well as some of the consequences of not doing so.
The Four Foundations (a good work ethic, discipline, the ability to persevere to overcome adversity and giving to others) set the stage for adult success. But turning a blind eye to life skills? Even denying that our kids are going to grow up and live independently? Not helping them prepare for life on life’s terms? That’s just not necessary… and it’s unfair.
Here’s a collection of parenting articles, many of which I’ve used to spark discussion in classrooms I’ve visited and seminars I’ve conducted… and they generate both light and heat! You’ll also notice some of the articles are quite old… but so are the debates!
May they bring you perspective and a smile.
49 CLASSIC CLIPS
- 5 Big Mistakes New Grads Make
- 10 Detrimental Effects from Helicopter Parenting
- 10 Truths I Wish I’d Known Sooner
- Advice for Parents of Boomerang Kids
- America’s Top Parent
- At the Center of a Clash, Rowdy Children in Coffee Shops
- Attracting the Twenty-something Worker
- Baby Einstein vs. Barbie
- Boomerang Kids: How to Handle Them Returning to the Nest
- Brat Patrol
- Bringing up Adultolescents
- Courageous Story of Dakoda Dowd
- Early Start in Business Teaches CEOs Lessons They Use to This Day
- Fat Fight
- Five Worst Mistakes I Made as a New Grad
- For Once, Blame the Student
- Goodbye, Moon
- Growing Backlash Against ‘Overparenting’
- Helicopter Parents Cross All Age, Social Lines
- Helicopter Parents Have Trouble Letting College Students Grow Up
- Helicopter Parents Hover Over Kids’ Job Search
- Helicopter Parents Need to Give Children Room
- Helicopter Parents’ Role Up in the Air
- He’s Not My Grandpa. He’s My Dad.
- His Name is Luca: When Overparenting Becomes Child Abuse
- How the Kids Turn Out
- How to Create a Juvenile Delinquents With Materials Easily Available at Home
- Importance of Resilience
- Jeter’s Win-Win Situation
- Kids’ Growth Put on Hold — and Speed Dial
- Look! Up in the sky!… Supermom!
- Magical Moments, Tantrums or a $250 Lullaby
- Matter of Character
- ‘Me’ Generation – Adultolescents
- Mom Drives Son to Rob Jewelry Store
- More Than One Kind of Helicopter
- Most-Praised Generation Goes to Work
- Office Space: The Boss: A Work Ethic from the Start
- Parenting for Dummies
- Parents Need to Learn the Difference Between Encouragement, Pressure
- Parents Want to be Teens’ Pals
- Permissive Parents Not Doing Kids Any Favors
- Power of No
- Reggie Rucker Leaps into Fatherhood
- Spoiled Rotten
- When They Say Alcohol Made Me Do It
- Would You Like Life Skills with That Burger Job?
- Young, Gifted and Not Getting into Harvard
- You’re Not My Boss